Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Some Photos of Life So Far

Finally got around to putting some photos up. Not very many though. I will be swearing in on Friday (finally!) and I am so looking forward to getting to Ahuachapan and starting my service. Tonight is my last night in my training community. Bitter sweet. It is also the anniversary of the death of Romero, and the church outside of my home is having what seems to be an all night celebration. I think it will be a long night.
Anyway, I put up some photos, but they're pretty much totally out of order. More or less in reverse. I don't have the patience to change it now.
I've been missing all my friends and family back home, but I am so excited to get to my new home and see what the next step brings.
Family Fiesta Day. Left to Right, Greg, Jamie, Dan C
Danny Sanny! Pato, Carmela, and the Preacher.
These are the best community pals a person could ask for.

Stooping in Tepetitan with the COED group. Celebrating finally finding out our sites.
Daniel (L) singing along and Clayton (R) appreciating the scene.

Breakdancing during the intermission of our movie day fundraising event.

Relaxing with the COED group at Costa Del Sol.

Our bread-making friends' home. Check out my friend Daniel ¨Pato¨ H's blog http://danielhinkle.tumblr.com/ for more photos of this little oasis.

Sweaty Men working in the kitchen. ¨Los dos Danieles¨

Skateboarder at Moje

Building a Kiln at Moje, a non governmental organization that helps former
gang members and at risk youth learn artisan skills and keep their lives on track.

Working at the wheel.

Futbolistas of our Community

Torro and David during our Campana de Limpieza which was unfortunately cut short when the mayor showed up with his team to fumigate the park. Recently there have been higher than normal levels of Dengue for this time of year. Even some of my fellow trainees have been unlucky enough to be diagnosed with this. We'll see what the rainy season brings.

Our little pal Torro, hanging out in the Park


The Marker of the Meeting point of Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador.
Three nations in one day.

The from the top of a virgin forest. I was standing on the spot where Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala meet, after a hour long hike through the National Park, Monte Cristo.

Erica in the back of the pickup that took us to Monte Cristo. Long Drive.

La Cancha of Istepeque. On that hill runs the Pan American Highway.

The Volcano, Chinchontepec. Last November a large landside came down from this Volcano and wiped out entire communities. In my host community there are whole families who are living in the casa communal because they have been unable to rebuild after this tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment