Well, things have been a little kookie around the Salv this last week.
I celebrated my 23rd birthday on Sunday (mi año de oro, by the way) and had the lovely pleasure of attending a birthday dinner that my ADESCO friends threw in my honor. What sweet people! We chowed down pretty seriously, and just as we were finishing up, the rain started coming down.
It didn't really stop for a few days. El Cocalito was a muddy, wet mess. Kind of a bummer.
However, I had things to look forward to.
As a belated 23rd birthday celebration my favorite PCVs and I went to Playa Tunco for two nights to pre-game our two week training in San Vicente. I set of Friday morning, and got to the beach about two hours before Agatha brought in a steady stream of rainfall. Lo que sea. The beach was relaxing, cool, and still just as chock full of beautiful international surfer guys as I hoped it would be.
On the downside, some time earier in the week, I ate something that gave me a bacterial infection in my guts. The mix of alcohol and food that wasn't beans and tortillas exacerbated the problem and gave me a fever and some pretty unfortunate digestive issues. Not cool. Oh well, I can enjoy both the beach and the company of such delightful friends without the booze.
Sunday morning we were scheduled to head out... But Agatha, that jerk, decided to create some minor landslides on the highways all around the department of La Libertad. The bus options were limited, but we got out of Tunco and made it to the city of La Libertad. Most of us had no cash left. The ATMS were all down, and there was no bus service out of the city, due to the condition of the streets. We were a little stuck.
One of the PC staff suggested we take a taxi as far as we could go up the highway before we get to the landside.... then to get out and walk across... he would be waiting on the other side with the Prado. No...
Thankfully the ever resourceful and charming Jon-Michael found a little old lady who hustled and found us a microbus that would bring us into San Salvador. So a few salvi ladies, a stranded traveler from the UK, a mountain of wet, dank luggage and equally wet and smelly PCVs
No comments:
Post a Comment